"Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Questions.
Ask Different People the Same Question.
Speak With Everyone – Not Just Soccer People.
Don’t Be Shy. Be Assertive."
- What percentage of players with scholarships graduate in four years?
- What is the typical class size?
- Describe the academic support program.
- Does a tutor travel with the team?
- Describe the typical day for a student-athlete.
- How good is the department in my planned major?
- Is there a team study hall?
College Life Questions
- What are the residence halls like? Clean? How many to a room?
- Will I be required to live on campus throughout my athletics participation?
- Is everything within walking distance?
- Will I need a car? Does the campus have a bus system? Is there a charge?
- Are students friendly? Are students relaxed?
- How do you feel about Fraternities and Sororities?
- Is it an active campus or do kids go away for the weekends?
- Are athletics (particularly soccer) popular on campus?
- Is there any crime on campus? Safety issues?
Financial Aid Questions
- Is financial aid available for summer school?
- What are the financial aid details?
- What does my scholarship cover?
- What can I receive in addition to the scholarship? Camps?
- How do I get more aid?
- What happens to my financial aid or scholarship if I'm injured?
- What are the opportunities for employment while I'm a student?
QUESTIONS THE SOCCER COACH MAY ASK YOU
- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- Where does our school rank on your list?
- What other schools are you considering?
- What schools are looking at you?
- Are you looking for a scholarship? How much?
- Have you received offers from any other school?
- Have you completed a financial aid form?
- Are you or your parents willing to borrow money to fund your education?
- When will you make a decision?
QUESTIONS FOR YOU TO ASK THE SOCCER COACH
- What position(s) do you see me playing for your program?
- Describe the other players competing at the same position.
- Is the program supported and fully funded by the Athletic department?
- Can I "red-shirt" my first year? Does the school red-shirt you if you are injured?
- What are the physical requirements each year?
- Is there a summer conditioning program.
- Does the team have to fundraise for any of their soccer gear?
- How would you best describe your coaching style?
- What is the team’s style of play?
- Do you, as the head coach, plan on staying for the four years I would be here?
- Describe the walk-on situation. How many make it, compete, and earn a scholarship?
- What are training sessions like? How long are they?
- Are there curfews?
- What are the team rules and how are they enforced?
- What is preseason training like?
- What is spring season like?
- Where does the team stay on road trips?
- How does the team travel to away games?
- Where do we live and eat on road trips? Who pays?
- What do you have to buy for road trips?
- Will I miss many classes for road trips? Will professors “put up” with this?
- How many other recruits have made visits? What positions do they play?
- Are any players transferring to the school?
- Have any players transferred from the school? Why?
- Am I required to play soccer in the off-season? Summer? Where?
- What is the availability and chance of receiving a scholarship?
- How much is the school prepared to offer?